On this palm Sunday, pastor Norton Herbst explores the question “why did Jesus have to die?”
Discussion Questions for The Season of Lent Pt6 | April 5, 2020
Key Passages: Acts 2:22-23; Luke 23:34
- What is the most difficult part of the crucifixion story for you?
- Read Matthew 26:39. What does Jesus’ prayer mean? How does it challenge you personally right now?
- The message mentioned the courtroom imagery “where somebody has to be punished for sin.” Does this imagery appeal to you or trouble you? Why?
- Forgiveness is a like a gift sent to you from God (through Amazon!) and left on your front porch. How is this analogy helpful and where does it break down?
- The message described four reasons Jesus had to die:
- Jesus died to offer forgiveness and reconciliation.
- Jesus died to identify with our pain, suffering, and death.
- Jesus died to show us true love and sacrifice toward enemies.
- Jesus died to defeat sin and death.
Which of these surprised you the most? Which is most encouraging to you?
- Read Romans 6:6-14. Do you feel like you have experienced Jesus’ defeat of sin and death in your life? If so, how?
- How can Holy Week be meaningful to you this year? What will you do to engage it well?
- Set aside some time to observe Good Friday this week; evening is best when it gets dark. Download the NDC Good Friday liturgy to guide your time at www.newdenver.org/goodfriday.