On the second Sunday of Lent, pastor Norton Herbst talks about the problem of productivity and busyness. To follow Jesus is to stop trying to do so much, stop saying “yes” to everything, and start resting in Jesus.
Discussion Questions for The Season of Lent Pt2 | March 8, 2020 | Click here for a printable version of the discussion questions.
Key Passages: Mark 1:28-38; Luke 5:12-16
- On a scale of 1 to 10, how busy is your life? What are the things that most fill your time and attention?
- Read Mark 1:32-38 and Luke 5:15-16. Why do you think it was important for Jesus to get away?
- If a wise and objective person could take an inventory of your life, what would they say that you are trying to do too much?
- What do you have a hard time saying ‘no’ to? What is the lie behind this propensity?
- Do you currently have an hour every day to rest your mind and heart? If so, describe how you do it. If not, what is the biggest barrier to implementing this practice?
- Do you currently have a day every week to rest your mind and heart? If so, describe how you do it. If not, what is the biggest barrier to implementing this practice?
- What about Jesus’ example do you find encouraging or comforting?
- Start practicing an hour of rest each day this week. Keep a short log/journal briefly describing what you did each day and when so that you can share with the group next week.
- Say ‘no’ to an opportunity or need at least once every day this week.