On the first Sunday of Lent, pastor Norton Herbst discusses the story of Jesus in the wilderness and the implications for the season of Lent.
Discussion Questions for The Season of Lent Pt1 | March 1, 2020 | Click here for a printable version of the discussion questions.
Key Passages: Hebrews 12:1-3; Luke 4:1-2
- Did you let go of something during Lent? If so, describe what you let go of and why. If not, why not?
- How have you been tempted so far?
- Read Luke 4:1-2. Have you ever done anything this focused for forty days?
- Jesus’ 40 days in the wilderness recalls the Israelites’ 40 years in the wilderness (described in the books of Exodus and Numbers). In what ways is Jesus’ wilderness journey similar to and different from the Israelites’ journey?
- What discomfort have you felt or do you associate with Lent? How can you lean into that discomfort this year?
- How is stillness hard for you?
- How does the story of Jesus’ time in the wilderness challenge or encourage you personally?
- Find a way to keep this phrase in front of you this week: “Be still and know that I am God.”
- Read the full story of Jesus’ time in the wilderness in Luke 4:1-13. What can you learn from it?
- Listen to the Spotify playlist “NDC Songs for Lent” at: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4fYbV3YtTdbf3627M0ZLoS