On week six of our seven-week series, Advent: Against the Powers of this Dark World, pastor Norton Herbst discusses the dark power of mental and emotional illness in our world.
Note: Due to technical difficulty, we have no message recording for this week.
Discussion Questions for Advent 2019 Pt6 | December 15, 2019 | Click here for a printable version of the discussion questions.
Key Passages: Psalm 38
- Why kind of stigma does mental illness/disorder have in our culture and why?
- Have you experienced crippling anxiety, depression, or another mental disorder? Would you be willing to share that experience with the group?
- What did it feel like? How did you process your faith or who God was during that season?
- Read Philippians 4:6-7. How might this passage be helpful. How can he used or understood in unhelpful ways? How do we find a balance?
- Do you think you are a safe person to talk with for someone who is going through mental illness? How can you be a safe person? What do they need from you?
- How can this group be a safe place?
- Is there someone specific (in or outside of your group) that you can pray for and/or help? Spend some time in prayer.
- Read the Psalms. Pick anywhere and begin reading them this week. Notice the emotions they communicate to God.
- If you need help, talk to someone this week and seek out professional help. Utilize the resources at www.newdenver.org/mentalhealth.