The first letter we have written to the earliest followers of Jesus has a surprising message for us. This week we look at the false message Paul confronted in his letter and how we’re still tempted to believe it today.
Discussion Questions for Gift & Worth (Galatians) Part 2 | September 9, 2018 | Click here to download printable version
Key Bible Passage: Galatians 1:6-24
- Reread Galatians 1:6-24. How would you summarize the main idea or point of this part of the letter (as explained in the message or in your own understanding)?
- What confused you in this passage? Why?
- Paul describes the things he used to do that gave him positive worth in vv. 13-14. If you had to list the things that give you the greatest sense of positive worth, what would that list include?
- Paul also mentions the one thing that he was most ashamed of in v. 13: persecuting the early church. What are things that bring us the most shame in our culture?
- When are you most tempted to focus on your positive or negative worth? What specific lies are you tempted to believe instead of the truth that God gives us his gift/grace to us regardless of our positive or negative worth?
- How might this understanding of God’s gift and our worth reshape our human standards of worth? In what small (or big) ways can you challenge our cultural standards of worth at home? In the workplace? In relationships? In the church?
What is one word or phrase from the biblical text, message, or your discussion that you want to remember each day this week? What will you do to you remember it?
Write down the one thing you are most ashamed of and consider how you can let this go or give it to God for healing this week.