In today’s message, Pastor Stephen Redden walks us through our last weekly practice — the practice of Sabbath — and the importance of establishing rhythms of rest.
Discussion Questions for Common Practices Pt 9 | June 14, 2020
Key Passage: Exodus 20:8-11, Mark 2:27-28
- What does a typical week look like for you? What do your current rhythms of work and rest look like?
- How do you feel about your current rhythm – good and healthy? Unhealthy and burned out? Are things trending good or bad?
- How has the pandemic affected your rhythm of work and rest?
- What are some practices that help renew and restore you? Think wholistically – physically, intellectually, emotionally, and spiritually.
- What are the barriers that stand between you and regularly practicing sabbath?
- What is your next step? What changes do you want to make moving forward to embrace sabbath?
- Buy the book The Common Rule by Justin Whitmel Earley if you have not already. Read the chapter on sabbath.
- Watch the video by Justin Whitmel Earley for this chapter at: https://youtu.be/veO4IAxjKnk (Or just search YouTube for “Justin Whitmel Earley fasting”)
- Practice 24 hours of sabbath this week. Choose a day that you will only pursue rest and replenishment. Make a plan – what are things you want to do on that day? Put some boundaries in place – talk to friends, coworkers, or family members. Do whatever it takes to protect that time and make it happen!