On the third week of Lent, pastor Norton Herbst offers encouragement and guidance amidst the current Coronavirus pandemic.
Discussion Questions for The Season of Lent Pt3 – Coronavirus Message | March 15, 2020 | Click here for a printable version of the discussion questions.
Key Passage: Mark 12:30-31
- Over the past week, how have you felt about the warnings, cancellations, and coverage of the Coronavirus?
- What specific fears do you have related to this outbreak? Be honest in acknowledging and describing your anxiety, even if you’re not consciously aware of it.
- Read the following verses in the Bible: Joshua 1:9, Psalm 23:4, Isaiah 41:10, Matthew 6:34, John 14:27, 2 Timothy 1:7. Which one speaks most personally to you? Why?
- How can you be a non-anxious presence to those around you? You may not be in other people’s physical presence as much in the coming weeks. How can you still be a non-anxious presence?
- How do these recent events relate to your journey of Lent so far? Are there any connections with what you chose to give up for Lent or what God has been teaching you so far?
- What did you find most interesting, helpful, or inspiring about the story of early Christians and their response to epidemics?
- Spend some time brainstorming how you can show tangible love to others over the next week. Make a list of options you can do individually and/or with others. Choose at least one option (maybe more) to prioritize and make a plan to do it.
- Prayer for Coronavirus: https://www.americamagazine.org/sites/default/files/attachments/Coronavirus%20%282%29_1.pdf
- Helpful charts at Vox: https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2020/3/12/21172040/coronavirus-covid-19-virus-charts
- Coronavirus: Why You Must Act Now by Tomas Pueyo: https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca
- Love in the Time of Coronavirus by Andy Crouch: https://journal.praxislabs.org/love-in-the-time-of-coronavirus-26aaeb0396e3