In today’s message, pastor Norton Herbst introduces the season of Lent and encourages us to lay aside weight that hinders us from running the race.
Discussion Questions for The Season of Lent Introduction | February 23, 2020 | Click here for a printable version of the discussion questions.
Key Passages: 1 Corinthians 9:24-26a; 2 Timothy 4:7; Hebrews 12:1-3
- Have you ever run a long-distance race? Or if you haven’t run a race, what is something you have done that requires a similar perseverance? What lessons did you learn?
- If your journey of faith is like a race, how would you currently describe it?
- The message described the season of Lent like training for a race. What kind of training do you feel like you need right now to run the race of faith?
- Read Hebrews 12:1-3. In what ways is Jesus the “pioneer and perfecter” of your faith right now? In what ways do you long for more faith?
- What is a burden, distraction, or bad habit that is keeping you from running the race well?
- What is one thing that you can let go of (or give up) during Lent? How can it be something that is not too difficult and yet still meaningful and transformative?
- How can your group encourage one another during this season of Lent?
- Attend the Ash Wednesday service at NDC on February 26 at 7:30pm. If you cannot attend at NDC, find an Ash Wednesday service at another church in town.
- Share your Lent journey with a friend. Discuss what you plan on letting go of during Lent and how it will be a challenge.
- Resolve to read through one or more of the gospel accounts (Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John) during the season of Lent. Come up with a plan to do it and share your plan with someone else (maybe even ask them to join you).