On the fourth week of our current series, Generation to Generation, pastor Norton Herbst gives us five things we should stop doing if we want to heal the generational divide that we face.
Discussion Questions for Generation to Generation Pt4 | January 26, 2020 | Click here for a printable version of the discussion questions.
Key Passages: Genesis 3:11-14; Colossians 3:12-14; Matthew 7:1-5; Romans 2:1
- In what ways do we currently blame people from other generations or life stages?
- When we dismiss someone, we minimize, reduce, invalidate, and reject them. Share a time you felt dismissed by someone because of your age, life stage, or generation.
- Why are older people particularly prone to lecturing younger people?
- What can we practically do to prevent ourselves from lecturing? What’s a better way forward?
- Read Matthew 7:1-5. How have you recently judged and mis-seen someone?
- How can this passage be encouraging to us?
- Which of the stops–stop blaming, stop dismissing, stop lecturing, stop judging, stop mis-seeing–do you need to pay particular attention to this week? How will you do that?
- Read Colossians 3:12-14 each morning this coming week. Pray through the words.
- Have a conversation with a close friend or family member this week about the sermon. Humbly ask them which of the five “stops” they see most in you.