Today kicks off our seven-week series, Advent: Against the Powers of this Dark World. In this sermon, pastor Norton Herbst walks us through how the church has observed Advent throughout history and encourages us to stand firm against the powers of this dark world.
Discussion Questions for Advent 2019 Pt1 | November 10, 2019|Click here for a printable handout of the discussion questions.
Key Passage: Ephesians 6:10-12
- Have you observed or celebrated Advent in the past? How?
- What does it mean for something to be sentimental (feel free to look up definitions)? How has Christmas been sentimentalized?
- The message described a very different way that early Christians observed Advent. What struck you as interesting and why?
- Read Ephesians 6:10-12. Are you suspicious toward what Paul writes about “our struggle against the powers of this dark world”? Why?
- When have you sensed or experienced this struggle against something unseen in your own life?
- If there is a struggle between the forces of darkness and light, what is the danger in focusing too much on the darkness without recognizing the light? What is the danger in focusing too much on the light without recognizing the darkness? Which way do you lean?
- How do you think the way NDC is going to observe Advent this year will challenge you personally?
- What are some ways we can resist celebrating a sentimental version of Christmas too early? What is one or two things you will do differently this year?
- Make it a priority to use the Advent devotion three times each week during this season of Advent. Details can be found at newdenver.org/advent.
- Use the NDC Songs for Advent Spotify playlist. Consider listening to it purposefully each day on your way to work or when you typically listen to other music or podcasts. Link: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6Lu8LMJm0Kst1qTgSram56?si=A1pjPl66QiWNJoA-zI5FkA.