Today we continue our series Getting Unstuck: Lessons from the Kings of Ancient Judah. In this message, we hear from pastor Norton Herbst as he unpacks a lesson on King Jehoshaphat and fear.
Discussion Questions for Getting Unstuck Pt2 | October 20, 2019 | Click here for a printable version of the discussion questions.
Key Passages: 2 Chronicles 20:1-30
- Do you have any silly (or not so silly) phobias, like fear of spiders or heights or public speaking? Share a story about this fear with the group.
- Read 2 Chronicles 20:1-12 out loud. Jehoshaphat is honest with God and the people about his fear, lack of power, and uncertainty about what to do. Why is it so hard for us to admit these things when we face difficult situations?
- Do you recall a time in your life when you faced an unexpected circumstance with an unknown outcome? What happened?
- Are you facing any big unknowns that are causing you fear right now?
- Read 2 Chronicles 20:13. What would this posture of “standing” look like in your situation?
- In what ways do you forget that God is with you? Or act as if he is not with you?
- Read 2 Chronicles 20:18-22. What is the significance that singing and worship play in this story?
- How do you think the Holy Spirit is speaking to you through this story?
- As a group, create a short prayer (two or three sentences) related to fear that you commit to pray together in the coming week.
- Do a short study on the topic of fear in the New Testament. Write down ways that Jesus or the New Testament authors describe fear and how we can trust in God.
- Put this song on your playlist this week: Whole Heart (Hold Me Now) by Hillsong.