NOTE: Our next trip is tentatively planned for February 15 – 22, 2020.
For five years, NDC has been building a long-term relationship with Vida Real Evangelica Iglesia in San Pablo La Laguna, Guatemala (the small village on the opposite side of the lake in picture). For more about our overall global philosophy and why we chose Guatemala, go here. The primary goals of partnership trips are:
- To nurture our relationship with the people of Vida Real Evangelica Iglesia in San Pablo.
- To serve the people of San Pablo by working with Vida Real on specific projects such as clean water, health and hygiene education, construction work, teaching English, children’s camp, or sports outreach.
- To be receptive to what God teaches us through the people of Guatemala.
Clean Water Video
During our summer 2011 trip, Rachel des Cognets, a water engineer, tested the water in San Pablo. She found harmful bacteria in almost every source and began the process of working toward a long-term solution. This is part of the reason we’re in Guatemala. And it’s a vital part of Rachel’s faith. Check out this video we showed as part of our sermon series on James: Faith in the Real World.
Next Trip Date
We typically take 2-3 trips per year. You can email email@example.com for more details or click the link below to apply for the trip.
Accommodations: hotel or stay with Pastor Antonio. “Rustic” (hot water is a maybe); amazing view!!
Food: lots of black beans and tortillas and Picamas (your life will never be the same after Picamas)
Health: expect a little minor stomach sickness (it’s Central America after all)
Children: 12-17 must be accompanied by parent; under 12 not recommended except in special circumstances
Total cost: about $1200 depending on flight prices (you can raise most of this if you can’t afford to pay it yourself)
Here’s a typical schedule:
- Saturday: fly to Guatemala City and travel to the village of San Pedro on Lake Atitlan
- Sunday – Thursday: work with the people in San Pablo (lodging and meals in San Pedro)
- Friday: Fun day in Antigua
- Saturday: Fly home
Applications are taken on an ongoing basis. All applications must be submitted online no later than two months prior to a trip. At that time, we will review the applications and let you know if you are approved for the trip. Once approved, you will need to submit a $100 deposit and the trip leader will contact you about team preparation meetings.
While everyone is invited and encouraged to apply for a partnership trip, there are several important qualifications to take into consideration.
- Are you in a “good place” emotionally and excited about working with a team of people in a foreign culture?
- Are you willing to go with the mindset that your purpose is to serve and learn from the people of Guatemala?
- Are you comfortable with living in another culture for several days and being sensitive to their practices and customs?
- Can you “rough it” for a week (without internet, email, phone, a daily hot shower, etc.)?
- You must have filled out an application that is approved by the NDC staff.
- You must be able to attend several pre-trip preparation meetings for the two months prior to the trip.
- You must be able to provide for your total cost, have a passport, etc.
If you have any questions about a trip, please email firstname.lastname@example.org before completing an application. The Partnership Trip Application will take about 30 minutes to fill out online. Each person must fill out a separate application (including spouses).