In the fifth week of our Common Practices series, Pastor Norton Herbst walks us through the daily practice of engaging Scripture before anything else.
Discussion Questions for Common Practices Pt5 | May 17, 2020
Key Passage: Mark 1:35-37; Luke 5:15-16
- Did you grow up with the idea of having a daily devotional or “quiet time” in the mornings?
- Did Jesus really need to spend time alone with God in the mornings? Why or why not?
- How did you respond to this question: Why is it difficult for you to engage Scripture each morning on a consistent basis?
- I’m not a morning person.
- I’m too busy or don’t have time in the mornings.
- I don’t know how to read the Bible or I need a plan.
- I get bored reading the Bible or I’ve read it all before.
- The Bible is too hard to understand or irrelevant to my life.
- Which suggestions in the message were most helpful? Which suggestions were most challenging?
- What’s a goal you want to set for engaging the Bible in the mornings over the next month? What resources do you need to tackle your goal?
- Discuss any plans or best practices that have helped you in the past to engage Scripture in the mornings.
- Buy the book The Common Rule by Justin Whitmel Earley if you have not already. Read pp. 79-94.
- Watch the video by Justin Whitmel Earley for this chapter at: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYx6oUex-_ixn3FYR1o_PYZ9QQUPVb1Sf
- Make a plan then tell your group what your plan is for this week.